A woman’s 911 call about a man with a blowtorch ended in gunfire, a barricade, and two deaths. Police say the investigation is ongoing.
A Las Vegas police officer was shot and a man and a young girl were found dead early Monday after a woman called 911 saying a man was chasing her with a blowtorch and had shot her, police said.
The call came in around 12:29 a.m. Monday, August 10, from a home on the 4500 block of Pigeon Point Court in southwest Las Vegas. According to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, the caller reported that a man was trying to burn her with a blowtorch and then said she had been shot.
Officers arrived to find the man attempting to set the house on fire, police said. As officers approached a closed interior door, the man opened fire, striking one officer. Officers returned fire and pulled back, and the situation became a barricade, according to Capt. Adam Seely, who briefed reporters at the scene.
SWAT officers and crisis negotiators responded. The woman who called 911 got out of the home and was taken to a hospital with minor injuries. When SWAT entered the residence, they found the man and a young girl dead of apparent gunshot wounds, police said.
The wounded officer, a woman, was taken to University Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, police said. Her condition has stabilized.
Police have not released the names of the man or the girl. In its press release, the department said identification of the two who died, as well as the cause and manner of their deaths, would come from the Clark County Coroner’s Office. Authorities have not said who fired the shots that killed them. The officer’s name is expected to be released after 48 hours, in keeping with department policy.
The department said the shooting was the 10th officer-involved shooting in its jurisdiction in 2026, and that the investigation is ongoing.
It came less than a week after another Las Vegas officer, Austin Abdelnabi, a Marine veteran, was shot and killed in an ambush while responding to a call on August 4.
A few things worth keeping in mind as this one develops.
The key question — how the man and the girl died, and whose rounds were responsible — has not been answered, and it won’t be for a while. The coroner and the department’s force investigators will work that out. Anyone claiming to know the sequence right now is guessing.
What isn’t in question is the call these officers were handed: a woman saying she was being burned and shot, in real time. That’s not a scene you can slow down. An officer went through the door and took a round for it, and she’ll recover. A young girl did not. The rest is for the investigation to answer.





